By Sam Piha
I felt truly honored when I was notified by the National AfterSchool Association that I was listed as one of the top 25 most influential people in afterschool.
“As nominations poured in from NAA members around the country, we focused our selection on those leaders whose service, research, and action influence and impact large numbers of children and families,” said Gina Warner, National AfterSchool Association executive director. “In so doing, these leaders bring positive attention and investment to the field of afterschool.”
In looking at the full list, I was pleased that several of my long-time colleagues were also listed. It is important to note that the leaders of today's afterschool movement stand on the shoulders of many brave pioneers such as Michelle Cahill, Jane Quinn, Richard Murphy, and others.
In California, the afterschool movement has been greatly influenced by many people including Jennifer Peck (Partnership for Children and Youth), Brian Lee (Fight Crime - Invest in Kids), and Michael Funk (formerly from the Sunset Neighborhood Beacon Center and current Director of the After School Division at CDE). We can all give thanks for their contributions to afterschool.
Below is the full list of those who were honored:
- MATTHEW BOULAY | Founder, Chairman of the Board of Directors, National Summer Learning Association
- JIM CLARK | President and CEO, Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- JESSICA DONNER | Director, Every Hour Counts
- TERRI FERINDE DUNHAM |Partner, Collaborative Communications / Lead, National Network of Statewide Afterschool Networks
- AYEOLA FORTUNE | Director, Education Team, United Way Worldwide
- LUCY N. FRIEDMAN | Founding President, TASC (The After-School Corporation)
- ELLEN S. GANNETT, M.ED. | Director, National Institute on Out-of-School Time (NIOST), Wellesley Centers for Women at Wellesley College
- JODI GRANT | Executive Director, Afterschool Alliance
- ROBERT HALPERN | Professor and Chair of Research Council, Erikson Institute
- CLIFF JOHNSON | Executive Director, Institute for Youth, Education and Families, National League of Cities
- SYLVIA LYLES, PhD | Director, Academic Improvement and Teacher Quality Programs, U.S. Department of Education
- JIM MURPHY | Senior Manager, Child and Youth Development Program, Council on Accreditation
- JUDY NEE | Executive Vice President and General Manager, AlphaBEST Education, Inc.
- NEIL NICOLL | President and CEO, YMCA of the USA
- GIL NOAM, Ed.D, PhD | Founder and Director, Program in Education, Afterschool and Resiliency, Harvard University
- BEN PAUL | President and CEO, After-School All-Stars
- TERRY PETERSON, PhD | Director, Afterschool and Community Learning Network
- SAM PIHA | Founder and Principal, Director, Temescal Associates, Learning in Afterschool & Summer Project
- KAREN J. PITTMAN | President and CEO, The Forum for Youth Investment
- SHANNON RUDISILL | Director, Office of Child Care, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- CARLA SANGER, M.ED. | President and CEO, LA’s BEST After School Enrichment Program
- JENNIFER SIRANGELO | President and CEO, National 4-H Council
- CHARLES SMITH, PhD | Executive Director, David P. Weikart Center for Youth Program Quality
- DEBORAH LOWE VANDELL | Founding Dean, School of Education,
- TOM WYATT | Chief Executive Officer, Knowledge Universe-United States